Wednesday, February 13, 2008 ;
I started preparing the dinner in the morning. This one is a totally Asian one, so it needed much more preparation time.
Appetizers: bak kwa, keropok
Soup: Tom Yam soup with tofu and shrimp.
Rice: Coconut pandan rice on banana leaf (nasi lemak rice)
1. Prawns with chilli crab sauce (something like a curry with egg in it)
2. Nasi lemak Nonya sauce (my mom's recipe)
3. Ikan bilis
4. Ladies finger/ okra with ikan bilis and homemade chilli sauce (made to resemble sambal belachan, but didn't really include belachan since I don't have it here)
5. Fish ball with beansprouts, xiancai, red pepper, bamboo shoot and shitake mushroom
6. Honey roasted chilli bean paste chicken wings and drumsticks
7. Sweet and sour pork
They brought a huge strawberry cheesecake!
They also brought tangerines, shrimp wonton soup (frozen instant bowls) and a decorative SNY mouse. :-)
They came around 5.15pm and left at 9.30pm I think. We had a lot to chat about, even though we just got to know each other. Singaporeans share a lot in common. And we also found so many mutual friends. Her close Sec school mate is Xuanqi, who is fellow COC member at LAP. Xuanqi and family just emigrated to Melbourne, so we also talked about her. Dh and I and Jessie were all at Xuanqi's wedding way back, but we didn't know each other then! Her job at NAC also meant she and Dh knew the same people.
She offered to come me pack up for China or watch the kids while I packed too, in the coming months. :-)
Below: Before dinner.
Below: after dinner and about to have dessert.
Of course, there was a lot of food left, but we like it that way. haha. It means I need not cook the next few days!
We also packed up food for them to bring home, and I also passed them some Asian stuff that we bought in bulk.
We'll definitely meet up again! She also wants to meet Ruoyi, whom I also invited for this dinner, but her hubby's company (IMF) had their CNY celebration. It'll be good to have this Sporean network. Since I am leaving, I should get both of them in touch.
rainbows every day, do not worry for the morrow