Friday, October 26, 2007 ;
9:39 AM
This post is about breast-feeding. Those not interested in details, be forewarned.

I've learnt that child-led weaning is less traumatising for both child and mom, from some books and the AsiaParents forum. So I waited for ds2 to self-wean.

I have waited for 2.5 years, and I know some moms have done it longer, but I decided to give him some helping hints.

I hung on thus far, besides of the benefits of breastfeeding, I was thinking it may be very easy, one day, he'll decide, I'm a big boy and I don't need milk anymore. ?? But it seems that, the bigger he grew the more attached he was.

There will be alternate phases of him being independent enough to go for Bible class, but then he'll sometimes refuse to let me go and insist I be with him, if not he'll cry badly.

Then he'll want to nurse at the most inconvenient of times. Eg, while I am queueing up to pay for groceries, or while I am driving and he's in the car seat, and we're stuck in a long traffic jam on the I-15, and we're like 40min away from our destination, at least.

If I tell him no, he has to wait... ah ha... did I say he's 2? Yes, the terrible twos stage rears its head. He'll cry and scream. And now he knows how to talk, it gets little more embarrassing. He'll be hollering "breast milk" "breast!" "want breast!" till everyone is looking at me (the earlier eg of the grocery store applies here).

If I try to shush him up and explain we'll do it later, he'll try to "help himself". That is even more embarrassing. He'll be trying to pull clothes up or push them down, otherwise he'll just be groping wildly at the strategic area.

I try distractions and they sometimes work. A cookie or graham cracker, a gummy... But not all the time.

So I decided to help him along. For the past 2-3 weeks, I have been telling him what a big boy he is, so he need not drink so much milk, so frequently.

Whenever he is sleepy or cranky, I try to anticipate first, so he'll not think of milk first, and I quickly offer him a glass of cow's milk (if we're at home) or something to occupy his mouth, and then we'll sing songs, read book or watch TV. If we're out, I'll let him look at many things to distract him. Until he falls asleep in my arms or on the couch.

It's trickier at night. So I've so far tried weaning the day feeds first. The early morning one, when he first wakes, that's done with already. He's gone a month without that. The afternoon one, before he naps, that's still touch and go. But last week has been fine.

At night, just before sleeping, I try to massage him (took one baby massage lesson before, haha, just one!) or clean his ears. The latter one is very funny. He loves the feeling of the cotton bud in his ears, so I'll dip it in some olive oil and just swab it around the outer part of his earhole. Somehow that continuous motion of the cotton bud lulls him to sleep.

Sometimes when I haven't been shouting at them the whole day, then I'll also sing songs while I do the night routine, or tell stories, till they both sleep.

As for the in the middle of the night feeds? I haven't tried removing those yet. We'll do it gradually, step by step! Those are the hardest I think. Cos I'll be very sleepy and semi-conscious, and probably would just give in.

We'll see.. if my journey is coming to an end..


rainbows every day, do not worry for the morrow
____________________________________________________________


about us ;
-{dear-hubby}- dh
-{dear-son}-ds1 T
-{dear-son}-ds2 J
-{dear-daughter}-dd E
singapore/utah/tianjin
Church of Christ
parenting/education/biology/travel/music

tagboard ;


exits ;
huiming shaypiao chiuwai teck 03S73 05S73 05S75 05S78 05S7B janelle medalene eunice zelda maryGanMa meizan sheryl dory jessica danielle sammi jen OzSeow

so yesterdays ;
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011

hi there;

kudos to you;
designer | kathleen huiming
image | moonburst23
brushes | aethereality.net
font | violation

How old are we?;

Lilypie First Birthday tickers